Thursday, April 17, 2008

Installing osCommerce & Where to Find Answers

I have not used the new osCommerce RC store installs, I only use the previous 2.2 MS2 version at this point. Since most modules have been created to work with 2.2 MS2 I see no reason to update to the new version. This is purely my preference and not a recommendation. You can download the 2.2 MS2 version here.

There is a quite informative pdf file which is included in your download of the oscommerce install. I suggest reading this pdf file in full. You can download the most recent version of oscommerce here.

In the install instructions you'll find tips on how to customize your store. Once you are comfortable with making small changes then start adding modules or "add-ons" to your store. These are changes to the code and database which will add additional functions to your store. Add-ons are available here.

The osCommerce forums have a wealth of information on installing and tweaking your store. I've also found the osC Answers forum to be very helpful. Please, remember, try searching the forums exhaustively prior to asking a question. Chances are someone has had the same issue.

Here is a great tip for an easier search of the forums. Go to Google.com and enter the following into a search: site:forums.oscommerce.com keywords . ~Replace keywords with your search terms. Since the forums search engine leaves little to be desired, this is the best method I've found.

Again, get comfortable with the layout, code, functions and database before you jump into an add-on. Install your store, play with it, delete it, reinstall it and so on until you understand it.

You chose osCommerce because it was free and customizable, however you still need to invest your own time into creating a successful store. Don't rush it. Take your time and learn it. If you feel that the code is over your head, by all means pay someone to do it.

If you decided to pay someone to create your store for you, I highly recommend requesting a coder here. There are some great osC gurus helping out with the osC Answers forum and they are very good at what they do. Any of them would gladly offer a quote to do your install and customization for you. Note: I am not one of those gurus. I have too little time to build for others, my own sites keep me busy enough.

No comments: